- Our History
- Local Government
- Elected Officials
- Public Services
Board of Zoning / Building Commissioner
The Office of the Building Commissioner is a division of County Government under the County Commission and County Mayor. The Building Commissioner is appointed by the County Commission and is under the County Mayor for day-to-day administrative procedures.
The Building Commissioner enforces the Zoning Regulations, provides staff reviews to the Board of Zoning Appeals, Planning Commission, and County Commission, and issues building permits. The Building Commissioner is also the FEMA Flood Administrator for Greene County and is responsible for the enforcement of section 5-1-115 of Tennessee Code Annotated, which addresses lots that present a threat to the public health, safety and welfare.
To Obtain a Building Permit
To file an application for a permit we will need:
- Name of Current or Previous Property Owner(s).
- Applicant Name.
- A Telephone Number.
- The 911 Address of property where your structure will be erected.
- A copy of an approved subdivision plat if there has been a division of the property.
- A description of what it is you are building; including, a site plan, drawing, or sketch showing the dimensions and layout of structure.
*** In some cases, additional information may be needed by the Building Official***
- Property lines and structure must be stacked with a minimum of 18" stakes.
- Cash or Check for the application amount.
- If you are a contractor pulling the permit, we will need an up-dated State Contractor's License, up-dated Workers Compensation Insurance Papers & a current Greene County Business License to have on file with each permit. All permits are issued on site when an initial inspection is completed and application is approved.
- For Code and Inspection Information refer to the Building Safety Code Link
Quick Resource Links
Tim Tweed - Building Official
Paul Laughlin - Building Inpsector
Page Gregg - Administrative Assistant
129 Charles Street, Suite 2
Greeneville, TN 37743
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Ready for Development
Greene County is home to a workforce second to none.
For information concerning employment, available land for your business or industry and other economic development opportunities, please visit our Greene County Partnership website.
To learn more about what Greene County has to offer, please visit our website.